Tolcha is an acoustic/electronic collective based in Boogie Down Berlin. Their sound is best described as an ever evolving future-vintage Sci-Fi movie score with a hint of Film Noir and a heavy Dub signature. The project originally kicked off as a 3 piece around the year 2000. Since the very beginning their live shows incorporated self produced synchronized videos – a signifier for the love of cinema, which is still the main inspiration for their music. Their first EPs: Praxis, Streetvibes, Kontraste were full on DIY affairs – recorded, engineered, mastered and packaged in-house and self distributed. Their debut Gestalt LP and the Focus EP, which featured vocalists Sasha Perera (Jahcoozi), Ras-Tweed, RQM, Rider Shafique, were the first to crack the international market thanks to repeated BBC1 radio play. To chase this release Tolcha recorded a live session entitled In-House Recordings 1 and then nailed it with yet another EP, this time featuring emcee Soom-T.
Their current LP entitled “Neustadt” came out in January 2013 on Neopren Records.
- We are independent and will never subscribe to any outside pressures.
- Dub is our main production technique, attitude and philosophy.
- We do not make genre music. Our sound is always hybrid and constantly evolving.
- When we play live we really play our instruments and by default we don’t recognize ableton powered performances as live acts.
- We engineer our sound theoretically, live it experientially and process it with our self made effects modules and music making machines.
2002 – Praxis EP
2003 – Streetvibes 12″
2004 – Kontraste EP
2005 – Fokus EP
2006 – Gestalt EP
2007 – In-House Recordings 1
2008 – Tolcha vs Soom-T
You can reach us via email@example.com